Community & Social Service 2010
Community & Social Service 2009
An Overview of Community & Social Service Program at Singapore International School
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
From AY 2009, Singapore International School (Indonesia) has formally launched Community & Social Service Program, compulsory hours of service for students from Primary to Secondary Divsion, inside and outside the curriculum hours. Community & service provides opportunities to young people to develop the values, skills and understandings that needed to contribute to civic wellbeing. Students through this program will develop an empathy and understandng of the community needs and an appreciation to the fact that cummulative and group efforts can bring prosperity and can ensure well being of larger communities.
One aim of SIS curriculum is to develop internationally minded people. These are individuals who recognize their “common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet”. Working toward creating “a better and more peaceful world” should be seen as involving many steps, which may be taken locally, nationally or internationally. CSS activities should be seen in a broader context, bearing in mind the maxim “Think globally, Act locally”. Working with people from different social or cultural backgrounds in the vicinity of the school can do as much to increase mutual understanding as large international projects.
Following are the general and specific learning outcomes of Community & Social Service program:
- To make this world a better place for everyone to live
- Develop a sense of care ‘n empathy and to eradicate the disparities between rich and poor, racism, nationality complexes and religious differences
- Enhance students’ willingness to take risks
- Develops students’ ability to communicate and make relationships
- Develop a sense of responsibility towards onself and community
- Provide opportunities to students to learn through helping others and to recongnise the contribution of students who already participate in service actvities in thier own time
- To develop leadership skills by solving real life problems
- To develop analytical skills and critical thinking among youth.
All students doing service must maintain a PORTFOLIO where they will record thier service hours and this book will be signed by the parents, CSS supervisor and the CSS Coordinator. Each portfoilo has following features:
- SIS vision and an explanation of holistic development of children
- Rationale of Community & Social Service
- Pledge for Comminuty & Social Service
- Specific Learning objectives for each service project – to be filled by students
- Timeline for each service project – to be filled by students
- Proposal Form to be filled by students – approval by parent, CSS supervisor, CSS coordinator and finally by the Principal
- Service Hours Record Sheet
- Date the service was taken
- Service actviity and organisation involved
- Full name, signature and contact details of the person validating the service
- CSS supervisor. CSS coordinator and Prinicapl full name and signatures
- Reflection sheets
- Assessment Rubric
Project Proposal Form & Criteria for an activity to qualify as CSS & Supervisor’s acknowledgement
Before strating with any service actvity, a formal Project Proposal Form is to be filled by each student in order get approval of the Community & Social Service supervisor and the Principal.
Community Service Verification Slips – Principal’s Approval Form
Reflection Sheets – the most important part of CSS
Supervisor’s Evaluation Form (Learning attitude & Development of skills)